Friday, February 19, 2016 / by Kimo Quance
The onset of spring and summer brings more than just warmer weather; for many folks, it's almost like a feeling of renewal. After the dreariness of winter and fall, everyone is happy to see blooming flowers and the sprouting grass.
Now, if you had a garden, you'd probably be ecstatic as this signals the arrival of eating fresh produce and all the health benefits associated with it. For city dwellers without gardens, you'd probably head down to the organic section of a grocery store.
The Freshest Produce
However if you live near the east county of San Diego, head down to the Santee Farmers market this Wednesday. Located on the corner of Mast & Carlton Hills, the market boasts stalls with a fine selection of free-range eggs, local honey, fresh fruits, dried herbs etc.
Open from 3 p.m to 7 p.m, the Santee Farmers market offers more than fresh produce. Whether it's home-made food or baked goods that you're after or even hand crafted items, you'll find them here.
Enjoying the Farmers Market
Like many farmers markets, you'll almost always find a fruit, vegetable or nut that you haven't tried. To enjoy shopping at your local farmers market:
- Be willing to try new foods – You may come across produce that you haven't tried. Take advantage of its availability and find out if it's delicious.
- Fight sticker shock – While the prices may be a tad steeper than in large department stores, you should remember that you are most likely getting the freshest produce possible.
- Arrive on time – For access to the best selection, make sure you arrive early. Remember you're not the only one who loves fresh produce.
- Be open to suggestions – Vendors and other buyers at these markets like to chat about the produce, even how they prepare them. Listen and ask questions; you just may pick up a cooking tip or two.
- Embrace the sense of community that comes with being at a farmers market.
Support your local farmers by buying from farmers markets. As you enjoy the wide variety available, it can be the perfect recipe for meeting new people too.
The Farmers Market on the corner of Mast & Carlton Hills is just one of Santee's many hidden gems. If you'd like to move closer to Santee and discover so much more, contact me on 619-324-5397.