Monday, October 26, 2015 / by Kimo Quance
The start of the holiday season draws closer everyday and kids, all over the world, just can't wait. With Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa and New Year's Eve all packed in a short month, they just know it's going to be fun. On the other hand, parents are stuck coming up with ways to make the holidays fun for the whole family.
While some families will make plans to visit Disneyland, others will go on cruises, others will be looking for activities closer to home. Yes, without leaving your community, or even your home, it is still possible to have loads of fun with the family. There are fun activities and many great holiday events that everyone can take part in this Christmas, and most of them cost little or nothing to enjoy!
Holiday Fun For The Family
These fun activities will make the holidays more memorable as the whole family does them together. Here are a few great suggestions:
- For Thanksgiving, the family can create a Thanksgiving Day centerpiece for the table, make a turkey piñata to break on Thanksgiving, make pilgrim hats etc.
- As a family, you can volunteer to help out people in your local community.
- Every week, pick a day for the whole family to spend crafting. Just look up “Holiday Crafts and Activities,” and you'll find loads of ideas. Some of our favorites include: making your own advent calendars, home made garlands, festive candles, holiday sweets etc.
- Create a holiday movie play list and watch a movie marathon as a family.
- Go outside, rake the leaves and have a blast jumping in the piles.
- You can go caroling in and around your neighborhood.
- Let the whole family take part in the hunt for the perfect Christmas tree.
Speaking of trees, the coming together to put up lights is always one of the high points of the holiday season. This November, we're inviting you to join the larger Santee family as we 'put up' our Christmas lights. Come and share in some old-fashioned community spirit and we guarantee you'll have a good time.
Santee's Holiday Lighting Event (Fri. Nov. 30th, 2015)
Instead of a dull switch flicking ceremony, our Holiday Lighting event features so much more. The event will have free kids' crafts, free carriage rides (for kids under 3) and even a sledding zone at Santee Trolley Square. For the whopping price of FREE, activities include:
- carolers will delight you with familiar holiday songs,
- kids can visit Santa, and get their picture taken (for $12),
- there'll be sampling of kettle corn and other foods, warm beverages etc.
This years event is sponsored by Cal Coast, Fireworks America and Daphne's. Billed as a Rain or Shine Event, the festivities will take place at Trolley Square shopping center from 5:30pm – 7 :45pm.
Don't forget to pencil that date in; whether it's a tree lighting ceremony, the local Christmas parade or just playing in the park, make time to spend with loved ones this holiday season.