Monday, November 16, 2015 / by Kimo Quance
Saying the city of San Diego is steeped in culture, is almost a misnomer. With its roots in Spanish American and Mexican culture, SD is chock-full of both historical and tourist attractions. Whether it's the arts or music, SD has something for all comers. The city is even the birthplace of bands like Blink 182, Switchfoot and artistes like Pearl Jam's Matt Cameron, to name a few.
The city showcases its culture with a diverse social calender packed with events all year round, making it a place for everyone to find something they enjoy. SD's vibrant music scene is a rich bouquet of all the music cultures around it; whether it's traditional religious music at the Lebanese Festival in El Cajon's St. Ephrem Maronite Catholic Church or cool blues music at the House of Blues.
Music in Santee
Not to be outdone, Santee also hosts many events with one unifying theme, the presence of great music. It usually kicks off in summer, with the epic Santee Summer Concert series. This is no one-off weekend gig; the series lasts for 10 weeks. With the premise of having a good time in the sun with friends and family, the series includes:
- The Blues & BBQ event held in July; this year, it featured music by Len Rainey & The Midnight Players and Bill Magee.
- Wingstock 2015, which had live music by Larry Grano & Mattie Mills.
- For those partial to bluegrass music and even a little line-dancing, Santee also hosts a Bluegrass Festival in September.
Hosting both indie bands and upcoming artistes, the events are meant to be a celebration of music and good times. And these are just two of the many sources of good vibes around town. The City is so steeped in music that you often run into tunes whee you'd least expect it.
Even More Music Around Town
One example is the many microbreweries and bars around town that regularly host live-music events. A few of them are:
- The popular Second Wind Bar which has live music from Thursday through Saturday.
- Santee's Off Broadway Live combines retro culture, with fine dining and awesome live music.
- BNS Brewing and Distilling also hosts bands playing live music every weekend.
- This year, Butchers Brewing and Helm’s Brewing had spectacular Oktoberfest parties, with loads of beer on tap and authentic German music to boot.
In Santee, even coffeeshops are not left out; the Kaffee Meister on Carlton Blvd prides itself in providing a stage for everything from open mic property to performance of the classics.
Whether enjoying your music with a meal, a pint or just coffee, you will be serenaded by the sounds of Santee. From up and coming acts like Nina Francis to established ones like Journey cover band, Open Arms, the music scene also ensures there is something for everyone.
So swing by and drop into the rhythm at one of our many events or businesses. We're hosting our Holiday Lighting Celebration on November 20, come on over for live music, carols and so much more.